The biggest theatre news of the week — and the saddest — was the passing of Stephen Sondheim last Friday, a true God of the musical theatre whose influence has cast the longest shadow over the genre on Broadway for over 70 years now.
Just this time last week I posted a column here saying, “We’re never very far these days from a major Sondheim revival in London or New York.” I’d just last weekend seen two major New York revivals, of Company (1970) and Assassins (1990), respectively on and off-Broadway.
Today I’ve also just posted my 2004 public interview with Sondheim that I conducted on the stage of the National Theatre here: https://shentonstage.com/my-2004-interview-with-stephen-sondheim/
Much has been written already since Friday’s news about Sondheim’s impact and influence, and I’ve been personally immensely touched by the personal stories I’ve encountered on Facebook from artists — actors, directors, even critics — whose lives he touched both through his work and his kindness and openness.
Earlier this year as part of my ShenTens podcast series I chose my own top ten Sondheim songs that you can read about here: https://shentonstage.com/january-29-shentens-my-favourite-sondheim-songs/
There are links to more tributes and tweets below, in farewells of the week.
MY COLUMNS AND REVIEWS OF THE WEEK
- Monday November 22: My ShentonSTAGE Daily Newsletter for today: https://shentonstage.com/shentonstage-daily-for-monday-nov-22/
- Tuesday November 23:
My ShentonSTAGE Daily Newsletter: https://shentonstage.com/shentonstage-daily-for-tuesday-nov-23/
- Wednesday November 24:
My ShentonSTAGE Daily Newsletter: https://shentonstage.com/shentonstage-daily-for-wednesday-nov-24/
- Thursday November 25: My ShentonSTAGE Daily Newsletter: https://shentonstage.com/shentonstage-daily-for-thursday-november-25/
- Friday November 26: My ShentonSTAGE Daily Newsletter: https://shentonstage.com/shentonstage-daily-for-friday-november-26/
- My review of The Drifters’ Girl (Garrick Theatre): https://shentonstage.com/review-the-drifters-girl-garrick-theatre/
Other shows I’ve seen:
REVIEWS AND REVIEW TWEETS OF THE WEEK
- Manor at National Theatre:
- Susannah Clapp in Observer:
COVID NEWS TWEETS OF THE WEEK :
LONDON HEADLINES OF THE WEEK
INTERVIEWS OF THE WEEK
Andrew Lloyd Webber on Front Row:
REGIONAL HEADLINES OF THE WEEK
BROADWAY (AND BEYOND) HEADLINES OF THE WEEK
EXECUTIVE ANNOUNCEMENT OF THE WEEK:
SOME THEATRE BIRTHDAYS OF THE WEEK:
FAREWELL OF THE WEEK:
AND FINALLY, SOME FAVOURITE (AND SOME DESPAIRING) TWEETS OF THE WEEK
Final tally of my New York trip:
Departing New York last Monday and arriving back in London last Tuesday morning: